Subject RE: [firebird-support] Re: Raid 0 or not ?
Author Nigel Weeks
Raid 0 is called striping. The '0' means it provides no redundancy or fault
tolerance.

It divides the filesystem and files into blocks that you define when
building the array, and then stores those blocks on consecutive hard drives.

Thusly, if you stored your 20GB file on a single SATA100 drive, you will get
a theoretical speed of 100MB/s data throughput

Now, if you use RAID0 across multiple drives, say 6 * SATA100, and depending
on the interconnect you use (PCI, PCI-X, PCI-EX, PCI-EX4, PCI-EX8) you can
then get speeds nearing the throughput of your interconnect / bus system.
This is because you essentially multiply the speed of each device by the
number of devices you have (6 * 100MB/s = 600MB/s).

Naturally, having 50 SATA drives hanging off one PCI slot will only get you
~160MB/s, as that's the limit of the old style PCI bus.

Here's one comparison of Interconnect methods

http://www.computerworld.com/computerworld/records/images/chart/pci_pcix.gif

There may be inaccuracies in the above posting - I haven't had coffee yet...

Nige.