Subject Re: [firebird-support] Data Lost...
Author Geoff Worboys
Lester Caine wrote:
> It HAS been demonstrated in the past that Widows did not
> ACTUALLY write anything to the disk until the application
> accessing the disk closed, or dropped the connection to it.
> As soon as the connection was shut, the reported file size
> would increase.

The reported file size is actually quite distinct from whether
the data is written to disk or not (partly dependent on what
you mean by "reported").

> Even with 'forced writes' on, pulling the plug DID loose the
> whole of a days work! I could recreate it reliably on the bench!

NTFS or FAT? SCSI or IDE? (Different bugs have had different
effects depending on the combinations you were running.)

I am not denying that there have been problems... simply that
any description that includes "a whole days work", where not
even the generators were updated, on an XP machine seems more
likely to be something other than caching. And these days
there are many products that will do this for you intentionally
so it's work checking.

--
Geoff Worboys
Telesis Computing