Subject Re: Crash corrupted database file
Author Felix
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...> wrote:

> At 12:06 PM 23/10/2009, you wrote:
>
> >1.This application has been developed and used for several years now with no changes to the database, so I know it works. The "project" file for the application uses an embedded FB database. After a bluescreen, that particular project/database file is broken.
> >
> >2. I can open the file with Flame Robin no problem and it all looks good.
>
> So the bluescreen is coincidental.

It may be coincidental but is very suspicious that the project/database that was open when the bluescreen occurred fails to work properly now. We think the bluescreen was caused by a dodgy screen driver but that is beside the point.

It seems to me now that the database file is not corrupt but is somehow in an inconsistent state. What surprises me is that I get a file i/o error. This despite FlameRobin being able to open and select all the tables in the db file.

> Do you actually have a full server installed and running on that machine, in addition to this embedded app that you are having the problems with?

No I deliberately did not install FB server to keep things simple. The app is our product we are developing here and it has used a FB embedded db as a project file for about three years now. This is the first time I've seen any sort of problem with the file. I've almost forgotten that the db is there it has been so trouble free!

> OTOH, if you extracted gfix.exe from a zip kit and just plonked it somewhere, not as part of an installation, it's not going to work if

Yep, that is what I did. I copied accross the dll's it needs to run and it does seem to run ok but returns "unavailable database" for any database I point it at. So maybe I should try setting it up again. I'm not sure how much gfix is going to help me though. I made another post with the exception details in it. If anyone can give me a clue as to what is actually going wrong in the fb internals that would be great!

Thanks again for your time.
Felix