Subject Re: firebird.msg location
Author Barry
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...>
wrote:

> At 01:09 PM 30/01/2009, Anderson Farias wrote:
> >>Ideally, that procedure would just say "copy matching
fbclient.dll and
> >>firebird.msg near your executable". I don't know why it has to be
more
> >>complicated than this.
>
> Because fbclient.dll depends on the presence of the runtimes
corresponding to the version of MS Visual Studio it was built on...in
this case, msvcr80.dll and msvcp80.dll.

> >As I said before I've been deploying my apps only with
fbclient.dll with NO
> >problems at all. Why is firebird.msg needed at all?? What
problems are
> >supposed to occurr if it's not present?
>
> None, provided the client is the correct one for the server it is
connecting to. But such smooth, "out-of-the-box" installation of the
client library won't happen if the correct MS C/C++ runtimes are not
installed and loaded.

> With an older fbclient.dll version, with dependencies on older (and
therefore more common and more likely to be available) MS runtimes,
things should work OK *if* the correct firebird.msg file *for the
server version* is in the expected place (and I already listed out
the steps it goes through to find out what "the expected place" is).

> That's because the message texts for the error codes sent back by
the server are *in* the client library. It's only when the client
can't match up an error code with the ones it has on board that it
needs to go looking for firebird.msg.

> ./heLen

Thanks all for your help and support with my problem. Firebird
installer was set for local server. When I switched to embedded
server life got good for me once again. It Worked! I am learning
slowly...LOL....Thanks again to everyone