Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: 2.1.1 Admin P/W change - 8 characters - please help
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:22 AM 28/01/2009, you wrote:

>> But tell us what is happening when your application is passing these
>over-length passwords. "Having issues" doesn't say anything useful.
>>
>> (One suspects that you might be trying to use a renamed copy of your
>old Fb 1.5 security.fdb as the security2.fdb on Fb 2.1. That won't work.)

Did you notice the above paragraph?

>We get an error stating "user name and password are not defined". We
>have not changed the password between 1.5 and 2.1 - same password.

So how did you get the "same password" into Fb 2.1's security2.fdb database?

>We
>understand logically it should not matter since more characters are
>allowed and only the first 8 are checked, but it does. Also, we
>understand more of the MS Trust security information is used in 2.1.
>Is this possibly part of the issue and if so how are people getting
>around it?

By reading the documentation and understanding how Trusted User security would work.

If your application is passing a user name and password then it is being rejected because security2.fdb does not have a user of that name with that password.

If your application is relying on a password stored somewhere (e.g., in the Registry, if you wrote an IBO app with the psNotSecure option for PasswordStorage) and that Registry entry has been lost, then the app would be passing blank user name and password. In deploying 2.1, if you retained the default firebird.conf Authentication parameter 'mixed' then login would be attempted with Trusted User authentication. It will fail remotely if the Windows user is not a domain Administrator and locally if the Windows user is not an Administrator.

./hb