Subject Re: Very fast read only transactions
Author jeff_j_dunlap
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Prenosil"
<Ivan.Prenosil@...> wrote:

> One of InterBase developers wrote this:
>
> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:04:27 -0400
> From: Chris Jewell <chrisj@...>
> Subject: Re: Problem backing up IB database using arcserve
>
> The server does not immediately close the file handle to an open
> database file the moment that the last client disconnects: for all the
> server knows, another transaction may come along in 100 milliseconds
> wanting to connect to the same database. At certain levels of
> activity, closing on last disconnect would seriously impair
> performance.

Ivan, this was the reason that I was unhappy with the connect()
performance of my FB application. As a quicky solution, I opened a
'dummy' connection of my database. I noticed in doing so that the
database would remain buffered BUT there was still connect()
latency--nonetheless a definite improvement. Please note that the
server runs Win2003 and FB 2.0.3 superserver mode. I have not tested
on any other FB version or mode.

> But Adam is right - the buffer is released immediately after
> closing last connection to SS, so auxiliary connection can be
> useful sometimes.

Agreed.

> I wonder whether this "server does not immediately close the
> file handle" feature described above ever worked ?

Agreed. Maybe a duration parameter when an instance of the db is
created or a setting in the configuration file would be nice.

Jeff