Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Very fast read only transactions
Author Ivan Prenosil

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:04:27 -0400
From: Chris Jewell <chrisj@...>
Subject: Re: Problem backing up IB database using arcserve

The server does not immediately close the file handle to an open
database file the moment that the last client disconnects: for all the
server knows, another transaction may come along in 100 milliseconds
wanting to connect to the same database. At certain levels of
activity, closing on last disconnect would seriously impair
performance.

> It matters here whether you use Superserver or Classic Server.
> Superserver IIRC releases its buffer after every connection to a
> database is closed. It may be as simple as creating another connection
> from a service on your server that serves to hold the database open.

But Adam is right - the buffer is released immediately after closing
last connection to SS, so auxiliary connection can be useful sometimes.

I wonder whether this "server does not immediately close the file handle" feature
described above ever worked ?

Ivan