Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Using unicode versus WIN1252 (Firebird
Author Milan Babuskov
Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry Yemanov wrote:
> It depends on what you mean by "internally". All UTF8 strings are always
> stored in the UTF8 encoding, but the appropriate in-memory buffers have
> (4 * num_chars) bytes allocated for the string. The trailing zero bytes
> unused after the UTF8 encoding are wasted for nothing in memory and are
> RLE-compressed while being written to disk.

Does this mean that when some application uses UTF8 connection character
set, Firebird first reads UTF8 from disk, then 'expands' it to
4-byte-chars and later turns it back to UTF8 on the client size?

If yes, then I'd like to join Douglas and Fulvio and ask why because I
fail to see any benefit in doing that?

Thanks,

--
Milan Babuskov