Subject Re: [firebird-support] Does Firebird 2.0 requiere exclsuive access to create indexes?
Author Woody
From: "dr_bentonquest" <bentonquest@...>

> Hi there, four days ago I upgraded a database from FB 1.5 to 2.0. I
> recall that in version 1.5, exclusive access for tables was not
> required when creating new indexes. Now with 2.0 it seems the case, as
> I get an error when creating a new index for the TRACKING table:
>
> Unsuccessful execution caused by system error that does not preclude
> successful execution of subsequent statements.
> lock conflict on no wait transaction.
> unsuccessful metadata update.
> object TRACKING is in use.
>
> I'm using FB 2.0.4. for Linux on Ubuntu Server 8.04.

I think the advice would be the same no matter what DB backend you are
using. Never do DDL statements on a live database with other users
connected. At most, I only add new tables/procedures which I know will not
be accessed by anyone. I never make modifications on anything that could
possibly currently be in use.

$0.02...

Woody (TMW)