Subject Re: ReTuning Firebird Server for Optimal performance
Author fabianchocron
Hi Victor,

We had the same problem, and we fixed it by installing 2 instances of
Firebird SS, one takes care of database 1, and the other takes care
of DB2.

Just ensure the cpuaffinity is set correctly (FB_1=1 and FB_2=2) and
it should work fine.
Cheers,
Fabian

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Victor Perez
<victorjdc87@...> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am running firebird 2.0 in a Windows 2003 R2 operating system
server machine with two Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz processors and 4 GB of
RAM. I have two hard disks HD1: one partition C: 135 GB in a RAID
5  and HD2: one partition E: 68 MB in stand alone configuration.

> The database is running under SUPERSERVER configuration. I have two
databases in the system. SISTEMA.GDB (964 MB in size) installed in
the C: partition of HD1 (the same as the Operating system) and
SISTEMA2.GDB (1032 MB)  installed in the HD2  E: partition

> My problem is that when the database is under high demand from
processes (i..e. payroll processing,  end of the month
sales/inventory reports, etc) and more number of users
accessing (upto 30) the database, the system becomes very slow  and
almost comes to a halt.

> I have:
>
> 1. Installed a seconday disk (HD2) dedicate to SISTEMA2 database
only and configure our applications so that the use this database the
most. The idea was to have the main load in a HD which was not also
using the Operating system

> 2. tried to play around with the firebird.conf file and changed the
following settings to:

> SortMemUpperLimit = 1582688000
> DefaultDbCachePages = 409600
> SortMemBlockSize = 134217728
>
> Can anyone tell me what can I do to get the database running at
optimum performance. I guess it will be worth noting that we have
configure our application using a lot of begin and commit trans which
locks tables, we have done this to assure completeness of the
transactions.

> I will appreciate help.
>
> Victor

Memory Usage
> To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 10:04 AM
>

> Niben M Singh wrote:
> > have 1GB memory in my PC with Linux kernel. I want to allocate
like 400MB
> > dedicated to my Firebird database. How can I modify firebird.conf
(or
> > operating system) to do so? Right now Firebird is not using much
of RAM
> > seems like.
> >
> > I am hoping with more caching in memory the performance will be
better.

> You can (as Anderson explained) but you probably don't want to.
Linux