Subject Re: Connection actively refused
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Robert martin <rob@...> wrote:

> Adam wrote:
> > Apart from to remove a certain piece of software that in my experience
> > creates more problems than it solves ;)
> >
> > The active refuse message is generated by the database. From my
> > experience, it has always been one of two reasons.
> >
> > 1. The service is not running (or at least not listening on that
port).
> > 2. There is a firewall blocking that port.
> >
> > I suppose it is also possible that someone (or some mysterious
> > software) has set bound the port to a particular NIC.
> >
> > Try telnet to establish a connection (annoyingly Vista doesn't install
> > telnet client by default).
> >
> > telnet [IP Address] 3050
> >
> > That will remove any Firebird client side issues from the equation.
> > What you need to see is a black screen, not an error.
> >
> > Adam
> >

> Hi I have had the client try telnet and he gets the following error
>
> "Could not open connection to the host, on port 3050:connection failed"
>
> I have go him trying to add 3050 to the services file on the FB
server. Any other suggestions?

Presuming you have correctly installed Firebird to its default port,
this is a PC configuration issue. You might want to *prove* this by
shutting down the Firebird service and temporarily installing
something else to listen that port (eg Apache).

Supporting the oddities of configuring various security suites is
neither my expertise nor interest.

Firebird requires the client to connect to the server on the nominated
port (by default 3050). The fact that neither telnet nor a client
application is not getting through indicates that the service is not
running, not listening to that particular NIC, or something is
intercepting and blocking the connection from ever reaching the
Firebird service.

Adam