Subject Re: [firebird-support] Error Message: I/O Error for file " \ \fb_sort_xxxxxx".
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:04 PM 23/06/2008, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>fb_server.exe v2.0.4.13130
>Windows XP Home TR 5.1.b2600.xpsp080413-2111 : Service Pack 3
>

>I get the error message on long time queries :
>Error Message: I/O Error for file "<drive:>\<path>\fb_sort_xxxxxx".
>Error while trying to open file
>System can not find the specified file.

Are you aware that Firebird needs to use temporary disk space for sort files when there is insufficient RAM available to perform the sort in memory?

There are three ways you can arrive at the error condition reported here:

1. You have not configured any TempDirectories locations in your firebird.conf (or you have configured them to locations that don't exist)

and/or

2. You don't have a Windows temporary directory (usually named 'temp' or 'tmp') visible in the environment path;

3. You have exhausted disk space in one or both locations (if they are configured and they exist).

./heLen