Subject Re: Database works fine but phsical storage file is not exist. How ?
Author omurolmez
Thanks for help.

Helen your right I did not give path. But I prefer to do this.
Because, I give 'localhost:' The right path to create file in,
should be server's problem. Anyway. This is another topic. And there
is a param in conf.

But now, I want to see what happen when I just use 'localhost:'. I
searched whole disk for a file 'abc.*'. I found nothing. I also
checked server's bin current path, install path, OS temp path. I
found nothing.

Is there transaction log file or something similar in fb ?

We decided to port our db to firebird. I try to learn something
about it. And this strange situation was scary beginning for me.

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...>
wrote:

> At 08:10 PM 11/06/2008, you wrote:
> >Versions of my binaries are :
> >Windows XP Home 2002 Tur(1254) SP3
> >fbserver.exe v2.0.3.12981
> >isql.exe v2.0.3.12981
> >
> >I kept Firebird conf file as untouched.
> >I setup both Firebird Guardian and Firebird Server as service :
> >Startup type: automatic
> >Logon as: Local System account
> >

> >I started isql.exe and create some objects as below:
> > Use CONNECT or CREATE DATABASE to specify a database
> > SQL> create database 'localhost:abc' user 'SYSDBA' password
> >'masterkey';
> > SQL> create table a(f1 VARCHAR(10));
> > SQL> show tables;
> > SQL> insert into a(f1) values('123');
> > SQL> select * from a;
> >
> > F1
> > ==========
> > 123
> >
> > SQL> commit;
> > SQL> quit;
> >
> >I restart Windows(not hibernate, etc.). It restarted normally (no
forced
> >termination of any process occured).
> >
> >I started isql again :
> > Use CONNECT or CREATE DATABASE to specify a database
> > SQL> connect 'localhost:abc' user 'SYSDBA'
password 'masterkey';
> > Database: 'localhost:abc', User: SYSDBA
> > SQL> select * from a;
> >
> > F1
> > ==========
> > 123
> >
> > SQL> quit;
> >
> >Now I can not find abc.fdb file in none of my local drives (I
searched
> >hidden attr also).
> >So, where did firebird store my new database ?
>
> 1. Your database's file name is not 'abc.fdb'. You created it
as 'abc' so you are looking for a database named 'abc'.
> 2. The engine would create the database in whatever directory was
the current directory at the time. It is very foolish to create
databases without an explicit location in mind.

> I strongly recommend that you figure out a good place to store
databases and always create them with a proper full path.

> Tip: suppose you have a location d:\databases where you will
create and access your databases. You want to create a database
there, named 'abc.fdb'. OK, open up aliases.conf and add this:

> abc = d:\databases\abc.fdb
>
> Save aliases.conf.
>
> Now, you can create a database using the same statement as you
used before. But now the engine will recognise 'abc' as an alias
and will create abc.fdb in d:\databases\