Subject Re: [firebird-support] Missing Configuration File Aliases.conf
Author Helen Borrie
At 03:08 PM 6/05/2008, you wrote:
>I have two XP computers connected peer to peer. One computer runs
>Firebird server (1.53) and the other connects across the network to
>access data on the server computer. Everything worked fine on the
>client computer until it's hard drive died and had to be replaced.
>
>After the crash, I ran a client only install on the client. Now when I
>try to run an application from the client, users on the server machine
>get an error message:
>
>Missing configuration file: C:\Program
>Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5\aliases.conf
>
>After they click OK, the user on the client machine seems to be able
>to acess data without issue. What would cause this problem?

Well, a missing aliases.conf on the host machine where Fb server is running would cause the message; but the client machine should get the message, since it's the one that is trying to connect.

I smell rats here. The words "peer to peer" around Firebird have no relevance. Firebird is client/server - that is, the Firebird server executable running on the host machine and applications on client machines connecting to databases located PHYSICALLY on the server host. The other "rat" is
"when I try to run an application from the client, users on the server machine
get an error message"

UserS plural? There would only be one user on the server machine. So how about providing some more information about your hardware disposition? And also the connection string that all of the client application instances use.

./heLen