Subject Re: [firebird-support] Backup database with spaces in path, does not work
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:14 PM 17/09/2007, you wrote:
>I'm trying to backup database with spaces in path over command line
>tool gbak and using service manager:
>
>E.g,:
>gbak -v -t -user SYSDBA -password masterkey
>-se localhost/3050:service_mgr "D:\CLIENT DATABASES\CH_TEST.FDB"
>"C:\1.FBK"
>
>This produces error:
>gbak: ERROR:I/O error for file "D:\CLIENT"
>gbak: ERROR: Error while trying to open file
>gbak: ERROR: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
>

>Any idea how to set path with spaces?

1. If it is on a FAT32 disk or partition that has been formatted
under an older version of Windows (NT 3 or 4, or Win9x) you will need
to use the old M$ 8.3 format for long or "illegal" pathnames, i.e.
D:\CLIENT~01\etc., without quotes.

2. If it is an NT 5 or higher NTFS partition, try it with single
quotes in lieu of double quotes around the path.

3. Try setting the path as an alias (in aliases.conf, no
quotes). You can then use the alias instead of trying to pass the
difficult path string in the command line.

./heLen