Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird TCP/IP connection string error SQLCODE = -902
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:58 PM 13/09/2007, you wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I installed FirebirdCS-2.0.1.1.12855-0.i686.tar.gz in Ubuntu 6.06.
>I opened a root shell and followed the instructions from the
>installation notes.
>
>I got an error when I excute the following command as indicated in
>the installation notes.
>
>connect localhost:employee.fdb;
>Statement failed, SQLCODE = -902
>Unable to complete network request to host "localhost".
>- Failed to establish a connection.
>- Connection refused
>
>I tried using:
>connect 127.0.0.1:employee.fdb;
>connect 127.0.0.1:employee;
>connect localhost:/opt/firebird/examples/empbuild/employee.fdb;
>connect 127.0.0.1:/opt/firebird/examples/empbuild/employee.fdb;
>
>and these still didn't work.
>
>I tried the following commands and it worked:
>
>connect employee.fdb;
>-- or --
>connect employee;

????

>But I want to connect thru TCP/IP connection string.
>Any idea on what I have missed?

Is xinetd running? If not, it needs to be. And you will have to
supply a proper file path to the database file: just the file name
on its own won't do it for a remote connection.

By the way, were you aware that Ubuntu is Debian under the
hood? Debian has its own rules about many things. If you find you
have showstopper problems with installing or running the mainstream
Linux package, you should problably visit the Debian site and try to
pick up a .deb package for Firebird.

>I wanted to use TCP/IP connection string because later on I want to
>connect from a Windows remote client to Firebird database in Ubuntu
>using ODBC.

Well, you'll have the same problem from any remote client if you
don't supply a proper connection string...and no remote client
(including one using local loopback) can connect if xinetd isn't running.

./hb