Subject Re: Detect Firebird Server Type
Author Mathias Burbach
Helen wrote:
> You have found a new Erratum! Sorry for that.
No worries, Helen. I am glad if I can be of any help.

> I will update the Errata at the publisher's website and in
> the Firebird 2 Supplement accordingly.
Hang on, ...

gbak -b -se [ServerName]:service_mgr
[DBFileName]
[BackupFileName]
-user [UserName] -password [Password]

works well on Super Server, but it fails on our Classic Server with:

gbak: ERROR: unavailable database
gbak: Exiting before completion due to errors

On the other hand ...

gbak -b -se [ServerName]:service_mgr
[ServerName]:[DBFileName]
[BackupFileName]
-user [UserName] -password [Password]

works well on our classic server, as published in your book. And finally:

gbak -b -se service_mgr
[ServerName]:[DBFileName]
[BackupFileName]
-user [UserName] -password [Password]

has to run into an error:

gbak: ERROR: Cannot attach to services manager
gbak: Exiting before completion due to errors

as it doesn't know to which remote server to attach to.

This brings me back to square one: I need to use different GBAK calls
depending on the server type (e.g. Classic or Super). Too bad, I
thought we had solved the case thanks to Alan's help. :-(

Any further ideas?

Salut,
Mathias