Subject RE: [firebird-support] Re: Facing Problems in executing the Select query
Author Alan McDonald
> --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Benson Smith
> <iblist@...> wrote:
> >
> > rambabu_piridi wrote:
> > > We are working on Java/iBatis with Firebird DB on Windows single
> CPU
> > > machine. Each query in our case would be within its own
> transaction.
> > > In the case of an INSERT or UPDATE query the start & commit
> > > transaction would be required. But will this also be true in
> case of
> > > a SELECT query? (none of the sub-queries update or insert into
> the
> > > database; they only select data)
> > > Also, how to set ForcedWrites ON/OFF?
> > >
> > > Bipasha
> > >

> > As Alan said:
> >
> > When you start/finish a transaction there are pages that need to
> be
> > written, even if you just have selected data.
> >
> > see you !
> >
> > --
> > Alexandre Benson Smith
> > Development
> > THOR Software e Comercial Ltda
> > Santo Andre - Sao Paulo - Brazil
> > www.thorsoftware.com.br
> >

> What if start transaction & commits are not written explicitly(since
> the query in question is a select query)? Will they still work
> implicitly?
> Bipasha

implicit/explicit transactions are identical as far as the server is
concerned. They fall into one of these types based solely on you
connectivity methd. E.g. ODBC .NET interfaces start transactions for you
(implicit) some other interfaces require you to be explicit but the server
doesn't know the difference.
Alan