Subject Re: [firebird-support] inet_error 10054 and 10022
Author Helen Borrie
At 06:04 AM 1/09/2007, you wrote:
>Hi Helen,
>
> > Not if you're using Classic, since there is no Guardian picking up
> > network errors.
>
>Is this bad? Could/should I use guardian just for this pourpose?

No - if a Classic process has been terminated, there is no impact on
anyone except possibly the client that had the connection. But
usually such a termination would have occurred because the user
didn't want the connection any more and couldn't be bothered to do a
clean exit.

Guardian's purpose is to restart Superserver if it terminates
abnormally. Superserver is a single process spawning threads of
itself for client connections. Classic is a different model: it has
a "listener" service that starts an individual server process for
each client connection. Since the "listener" service doesn't
terminate unless someone deliberately stops it, Guardian is
irrelevant. It is also known to cause "ghost" problems for Classic
on some setups.

In fact, Guardian is more or less irrelevant for Superserver on Win
service-capable platforms, too, since any service can be configured
to restart automatically if it falls over.

./heLen