Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: "Mysterious" data loss
Author Aage Johansen
kjuib999 wrote:
> --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Aage Johansen <aagjohan@...>
> wrote:
>> kjuib999 wrote:
>> > Yes... even to the amount of 2 or 3 days worth of work... The
>> > connection to the software isn't cut until the software server is
>> > shutdown. We never saw this on firebird 1.5, but it has happened a
>> > couple times with firebird 2.0. We are unable to reproduce it at
>> > will...

>> My first guess is that someone (maybe a script running on the server)
>> is restoring an old backup.
>> Take a look at the generators - have these been set back to old values?
>>
>> --
>> Aage J.
>>

> I checked the generators on the 2 databases I have and it seems that
> the generators have been set back (The generators correspond the ID of
> the last record)
> If that is the case... how could a firebird act just fine until the
> connection is lost... wouldn't there be write issues?

I think you should check the server to see whether there is some
process running a restore - maybe a backup job with incorrect
options. As long as the database is "in use" the restore cannot be
done (the job will fail in some way), but as soon as all users are
disconnected it is free to do its work.
Is there backup or restore options built into a program? Is there a
restore job to be run automatically in the case of a failure? (Just
speculating...)
If you terminate the Guardian, maybe the database will be stopped
until you start it again explicitly (I assume SuperServer here). You
would then be able to secure a copy of the database before restarting
fbserver. Checking the copy and the restarted database might give a clue.

Also, as Sean Leyne suggests you may be looking at two different
databases, but this is less probable (I think).

--
Aage J.