Subject Re: [firebird-support] inet_error 10054 and 10022
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:48 PM 31/08/2007, you wrote:
>Hi Helen, thanks for your input
>
>first, I'm using FB 1.5.3 CS on Windows 2003 server
>
> > It is a "connection reset by peer" error. If the log indicates that
> > it is coming from the server side then it is probably just users
>
>How do I know it's comming from client side? eg:
>
>SVSABEITA Fri Aug 24 15:16:48 2007
> INET/inet_error: read errno = 10054
>
>SVSABEITA is the server name. If it was from a client, It would have the
>client machine name instead?

Not if you're using Classic, since there is no Guardian picking up
network errors.

> > terminating their applications badly (application crashing, or users
> > switching off without closing down the app, or users pulling out the
> > network cable while connected.)
>
>sometimes I also get
>"SERVER/process_packet: broken port, server exiting"
>
>I thought this was the error from the actions you've mentioned. so, could
>you also tell me what the above error means?

It's a message from the server process, whereas the others are from
the network. It means the process had time to exit gracefully, i.e.,
it didn't crash. But the cause will lie in the same areas: the
socket between a client and its server process has been
destroyed. This is likely to be just that the tcp connection finally
timed out after ~ 2 hours because the client went away and the
process cleaned up and terminated. The cure? teach the users to
close down their apps properly and/or not to disconnect their laptops
from the network while they are connected. It probably isn't causing
problems for the users who caused the problem (if you see what I
mean) but it will tend to let garbage hang around longer than necessary. (

Tip: You can buy battery-operated cattle prods for around $50 US on eBay...)

./heLen