Subject RE: [firebird-support] How to check if Firebird is running ?
Author Brenden Walker

See the InterBase and Firebird Coexistance project on sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ibfbcoex

The DBToggler application has examples of controlling FB (both running
as a service and an application) as well as detecting if the
service/application is running..etc Written in Delphi, not sure if
it'll work with D7 as we're now on CodeGear 2007 but it will certainly
point you in the right direction.