Subject Re: [firebird-support] GDB file grows
Author Svein Erling Tysvaer
What you describe is a typical symptom of one or more long-running
transactions. Your statistics doesn't reveal much, but I guess this is
the statistics from a "fixed" database rather than the 150Mb database?

When Firebird deletes a record, it does so by flagging it deleted - not
physically delete the record. It does so because the deleted record
still may be visible for transactions that started before the delete was
done. And something similar is done for updated records, for old
transactions it may be older versions of the record that is visible and
not the latest version that contains the current data.

Make sure ALL transactions are properly committed (or rolled back) and
your problem will disappear. Typically, when you take proper care of
your transactions, the database file size will first increase a bit, but
then stop growing.

HTH,
Set