Subject Re: [firebird-support] Database design : data versioning
Author Svein Erling Tysvaer
Hi Pierre!

I don't quite understand your design, so my comments may or may not be
useful.

Problem 1 - efficiency:

See if something similar to this procedure is any quicker (it won't
work, since you are referring to the alias 'a', which isn't mentioned
anywhere):

CREATE OR ALTER PROCEDURE PS_GET_PRODUCTS (FOR_VERSION Integer)
returns (ID Integer,
"VERSION" Integer,
NAME Varchar(255),
FAMILY Integer,
FAMILY_NAME Varchar(255))
AS
begin
if (FOR_VERSION is null) then
select VERSION from PS_GET_HEAD(1)
into :FOR_VERSION;

for
select
p.PRD_ID,
p.PRD_VERSION,
p.PRD_NAME,
p.PRD_FAMILY,
f.FAM_NAME,
from PRODUCTS p
join FAMILIES f on
f.FAM_ID = a.PRD_FAMILY
where not exists (select * from ARTICLES a2
where a2.ART_ID=a.ART_ID
and a2.ART_VERSION <= :FOR_VERSION
and a2.ART_VERSION > a.ART_VERSION)
and not exists(
select *
from FAMILIES f2
where f2.FAM_ID=f.FAM_ID
and f2.FAM_VERSION <= :FOR_VERSION
and f2.FAM_VERSION > f.FAM_VERSION)
into
:ID,
:VERSION,
:NAME,
:FAMILY,
:FAMILY_NAME
do
suspend;
end

Problem 2 - design:

Why not simply split the FAMILIES table into a FAMILY and a
FAMILY_VERSION table?

HTH,
Set