Subject RE: [firebird-support] Firebird == Standard SQL ???
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:55 AM 1/08/2007, you wrote:
>Hi Helen,
>
>I have found on page 113 of your book the supported data types :-) are you
>able to tell me if Firebird 2 extends on these ?

No it doesn't, but you should always study the release notes, as new
aliases for the names of data types (or sub-types) get added from
time to time...It's cosmetic, and doesn't make any difference to the
data type specification, though. E.g. BLOB SUB_TYPE 1 can be
declared as BLOB SUB_TYPE TEXT and BLOB SUB_TYPE 0 can be declared as
BLOB SUB_TYPE BINARY in Fb 2 and up; from Fb 1.5 onward you can
declare NUMERIC(18,0) as BIGINT.

I don't know whether anyone else suggested it, but it could be well
worth your while to define domains to cover each of the distinct data
types in your MSSQL database (once you have researched the Microsoft
specs, of course...) That should make editing the metadata simpler
and consistent; and you can capture those domain definitions and
make them consistent across other DBs you might want to convert (or
create new) in future.

./heLen