Subject Re: Firebird == Standard SQL ???
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Jimenez"
<d.jimenez@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After reading the documentation for Firebird, I understand it to use
> SQL:1999 standard. I am particularly interested in data types.
>
> The question is:
>
> Does firebird support all data types defined within the SQL:1999
standard
> ??? Or does it only support a subset of this standard???

Like practically every other DBMS, it probably lacks some types. I
don't know specifically which types SQL99 (or 2003 for that matter)
lists, but the most notable missing type I can think of is boolean.

Firebird implements domains though, so it is trivial to create your
own data type. For example, we use the following for boolean.

CREATE DOMAIN BOOLCHAR AS Char(1)
check( (value in ('T','F')) or value is null )
COLLATE NONE;

Others use a smallint and check the value is 0 or 1, it is just a
preference.

Firebird is probably one of the most faithful DBMS to the standards,
so if it does not support a given standard data type, add it to the
tracker.

Adam