Subject Re: Making backups to a firebird DB, using 3rd party tools
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "David Wessell" <dave@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I maintain a Firebird DB that holds data for our inventory
> application. I'm interested in implementing some 3rd party tools (Live
> Vault, Iron Vault) that take snapshots of the server every 15 mins or
> so, and store them offsite.
>
> Most of these tools use a Open Transaction Manager of some form, to
> make the backups of open files. Since almost always the DB is open,
> and has open connections, it would fall under this banner.
>
> I'm curious if anyone has ever had any experience, or has any thoughts
> about using a tool like this to backup a Firebird DB every x minutes..
>
> Thanks
> David

Hello,

I have not used the tools you refer to. If you are pushing the
database offsite every 15 minutes, I would hope your database is small
or the tools contain can detect deltas within files.

Perhaps nbackup would be of interest to you if you use Firebird 2. It
can do hot incremental backups quite quickly.

Adam