Subject Garbage Collection Question (WAS: Re: Slow SELECT/DELETE)
Author federonline
Hi, Adam.

This brings up a couple issues that relate to our project. We use FB
2.0 and our DB is less than 300M. My question is mostly about
terminology...but some background first....

We have an application that collects data asynchronously and in real
time, storing it in a table. The relevance of that data diminishes
over time and is generally irrelevant after 12 hours. Every 5-10
minutes, our application launches a thread that purges everything
older than 2 days (1200-2000 rows, depending on input devices), which
keeps the DB small.

My questions are:
1) do you use "garbage collection" to mean re-indexing?
2) can you tell me the affect of the constant purging of data on the
3) if the affects are very negative, is there a way programatically
(through the API) to force an index rebuild or "garbage collection" if
those terms are almost synonymous?

I have to say, generally we have no issues, but have also only let the
system run for 2-3 months before bringing it down, running a backup,
running gfix and a sweep (none of which have ever presented an error).
I'm just nervous about deploying it for a year without anyone to
service it.

Thanks in advance.
Kurt.