Subject Re: can I copy database file from Windows 32bit to Linux 32bit as is? And from O
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Valdir Marcos"
<valdir.marcos@...> wrote:

> Yes, firebird fdb files are completely plataform independant!
> You just have to shutdown that file before making the copy.

Wow, resurrecting some old threads here.

I think you will find that the files are only platform independent if
you are moving between the same endianness and the same number of bits.

Moving between x86 Windows and some x86 Linux machine is fine. Moving
between PPC and Intel or between 32 and 64 bit will cause problems.
That is why there is the option to create a transportable backup,
which is architecturally agnostic.

Adam