Subject Re: a few How To......s
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "yogiyang007"
<yogiyang007@...> wrote:

> Hello,

> > > This means that one cannot also get thelist of all the databases
> > > present on the DataServer (this is separate computer).
> >
> > Correct, Firebird doesn't know about datafiles unless
> > you tell it to attach to them.
> >

> In MS SQL (Which I have used once very extensively) I am used to this
> feature. We get the complete list of all the database present on the
> server.
>
> Looking from another angle this is good thing.
>
> BTW where does FB store its data files on the server?

Q: Where does Excel store its spreadsheets?
A: Wherever you want to store them.

The connection strings can either look like this

MyServer:c:\Data\MyDatabase.fdb

or the more recommended usage of aliases.

aliases.conf
MyDatabase=c:\Data\MyDatabase.fdb

And then the connection string looks like

MyServer:MyDatabase

Again, Firebird does not care where you want to put the database
unless you choose use the DatabaseAccess setting in firebird.conf
(Read the comments in Firebird.conf for details).

Adam