Subject Re: Charsets and searching
Author L
Helen,

Hi! Thank for the reply. I am currently developing against Firebird
1.5 an will eventually move to Firebird 2.01, though I may just wait
for 2.1.

I am going to not consider Spanish characters for the time being, just
english. I can deal with Spanish later. For a web app I am doing, it
would be nice to support both languages, but then again the whole case
insensitive search thing may be out the window and users will only
have case sensitive search.

An associate who is a PHP developer suggest that I just user UTF-8
becuase that is what he defaults Postgres databases to . I have
never really looked into Unicode character sets, though I have looked
at Postgres (am very happy to stick to Firebird for my apps).

Anyway, I am off to enjoy my Easter Sunday.

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...> wrote:

> At 09:28 AM 8/04/2007, you wrote:
> >I have always chose "NONE" as my default Charset when creating
> >Interbase/Firebird databases. Is it possible to do case insensitive
> >searches?
>
> No. NONE has no knowledge of upper-lower case mappings other than
> for the 26 ASCII alphabetic character pairs. To do case-insensitive
> searching even on these pairs you need to coerce the search using
UPPER()