Subject Re: [firebird-support] Charsets and searching
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:28 AM 8/04/2007, you wrote:
>I have always chose "NONE" as my default Charset when creating
>Interbase/Firebird databases. Is it possible to do case insensitive
>searches?

No. NONE has no knowledge of upper-lower case mappings other than
for the 26 ASCII alphabetic character pairs. To do case-insensitive
searching even on these pairs you need to coerce the search using UPPER()

>Must I switch to a character set to make this happen? My
>applications are for English and Spanish users.

You need both a character set AND at least one locale-specific
collation for Spanish. For case-insensitive searching you need an
index on the searched column that includes a case-insensitive
collation in its attributes. A collation applies to a specific
character set, i.e. you can't, for example, apply a case-insensitive
collation for Spanish to charset NONE.

You can't "switch" to another character set. There's a bit more to
it than that. ;-)

> I am developing
>client apps with Delphi on Win32 and PHP for Win32 and Linux servers.

What version of Firebird?

./heLen