Subject Re: [firebird-support] Considering upgrading to Firebird Embedded v2.0
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:19 AM 24/02/2007, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I'm considering upgrading to Firebird Embedded v2.0 and I'm wondering
>what files I need to deploy along with my application. According to
>my testing these are the files:
>
>For FB 1.5:
>fbembed.dll
>
>For FB 2.0:
>fbembed.dll
>AND at least 3 other .dlls (don't remember their names right now)
>
>the difference in size is huge! I zipped it and for FB 1.5 it was
>approx. 700KB but the new one, FB 2.0 is approx 1600KB...
>
>So I'm basically whining about the size increase and I'm just making
>sure it's a correct assumption... or can it be somehow stripped?

With either version you always need to ensure the Microsoft C and C++
runtimes were present. Whether you need to ship them or not depends
on what is on the machine you are deploying them to.

If you need the Fb 2 international language support then you probably
do need to deploy the icu* libraries as you could be fairly certain
they would otherwise be missing. That's where the extra weight comes in...

./heLen