Subject Re: How to know when an index has become unbalanced?
Author atlioddsson
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Alan McDonald" <alan@...> wrote:

> > The subject pretty much sums up the question, "How to know when an
> > index has become unbalanced?"
> >
> > I know how to rebuild an index and update the statistics, but how can
> > I know the state of the index itself and whether it needs rebuilding?
> >
> > Example: I have a primary key on an autoincrement column. I'd assume
> > the index tree would get unbalanced rather quickly - - right?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Atli
>
> if you've done a lot of mass inserts and/or deletes, I would set stats.
> Otherwise I would leave my indexes alone until normal backup/restore
type
> maintenance operations.
> PK fields don't go out of balance quickly - quite the reverse.
> Alan

Thanks,

Doesn't Firebird create an index automatically on primary key fields?
Is that index maintained in a different manner than other indices?

Anyhow, is there any way to know if an index has become unbalanced (in
a similar way to how I can see the statistics for an index)? Or is
this a non-issue in general?

Thanks
Atli