Subject Re: [firebird-support] embedded 2.03 and gbak.exe ?
Author Helen Borrie
At 02:20 AM 21/11/2007, you wrote:

>I knew I answered this question too quickly. :) I was trying to explain it
>that way. What I actually meant to say was that you can use the
>backup/restore components (IBX or IBO) with the embedded client as long as
>you rename it to gds32.dll (with IBO you can actually set a constant for the
>name of the library) and use local protocol. It will then work correctly.
>With gbak, it must access an actual server, IIRC.

fbembed.dll *is* an actual server...so, if it's renamed to fbclient.dll and is in the same directory as gbak.exe then gbak will find the client and the client will find the embedded server.

The trick is not to try to do this when another embedded client is busy with the database. gbak won't get in.

So, if you want backups to run while the user is logged in, you'll need to make it part of the user's application, using the services api.

./hb