Subject Re: Network Connection Failing
Author peterchubby
Helen

> It's not complaining about the login credentials but the connection
path. So what is it?
Are you using aliases or a path hard-coded in the app? If the
latter, where is the app reading the path from - the IB_Connection
Path property? or some DB Params lurking in the IB_Connection? Or
what?
And what is the connection protocol?

Connection Path is stored and read from the registry. Aliases are not
used it sets the IBODatabase path property. Protocol TCPIP

>Does the user you describe as "database owner" actually own any of
the objects inside the database?

Yes it created and owns all of the objects.

> Hmm, it might be describing an initial connection as SYSDBA and
subsequent connections by users that have no permissions to database
objects. Are you saying that they all get the empty database path
problem?

No, ALL registered fb users can connect Fine on 4 other client PCs
over this network. Even the standard users registered with Fb can
connect ok on THIS PC. The problem occurs ONLY on this client and
ONLY when the program tries to inisiate a connection using the
database owner name and password.

> Well, except for the "path specified" not being found, it all
sounds like an SQL permissions problem...

Extract from IB_Monitor:
CONNECT DATABASE epsrv01:c:\vendor data\lynxst.fdb
DB_HANDLE = 8217636
The path is fine, as are permissions. It is almost as if this
username and/or password on THIS PC is getting mangled somewhere
(causing SQL permissions problem), but that does not explain the
system message "path specified" not being found when it is clear from
the previous connection that the path supplied is fine.

Regards
Peter

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...>
wrote:

> At 10:19 PM 16/11/2007, you wrote:
> >A customer set up a system; the server and 4 of 5 clients work
fine,
> >the fifth one has a quirky problem. When a connection attempt is
made
> >(using the database owner name and password) the system throws the
> >message `Cannot Open File "". The System Cannot Find Path
Specified'.

> It's not complaining about the login credentials but the connection
path. So what is it?

> Are you using aliases or a path hard-coded in the app? If the
latter, where is the app reading the path from - the IB_Connection
Path property? or some DB Params lurking in the IB_Connection? Or
what?

> And what is the connection protocol?
>
> >I used IB_monitor to log activity and can confirm this client is
> >connecting to both the security and our database OK as a standard
> >registered user. However, when it tries to connect to the database
> >using the database owner name and password the above error occurs
and
> >it seems to go off the radar i.e. IB_Monitor reports nothing and
> >although the connect is within a try except, code within the
except
> >code never runs. Nor does it reach code after the try except.
(This
> >being in the Datamodule create seems to imply the Datamodule was
not
> >created; but tests for the Datamodulue's existence are positive.)
> >
> >Their network administrator told me that if they set up new user
> >profiles
>
> What kind of "user profiles"? What Firebird cares about is
Firebird users it knows about. Does the user you describe