Subject Re: [firebird-support] Coexistance of autonomous applications
Author Helen Borrie
At 04:11 AM 13/11/2007, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>How do I handle this situation?
>
>My new client has an existing application using Firebird 2.0, and that
>application has changed the sysdba password as it should.
>
>But now I want to install my application but I cannot connect to the
>server to create my own databases as I do not know the sysdba, password.
>
>I am sure there is a means to recover or reset the password?
>But this still wont help because then I will break the other application.
>
>I do not need any access to the other applications data, I just need
>to create and access my own.
>
>What should I do?

Don't have SYSDBA create databases! Ask the customer's SYSDBA to create a user for you, who will be the DBOwner for your database. You will need them to give you your initial password but, later, you can change it yourself.

Create the database AND ALL OF ITS OBJECTS under this login.

In your database (still logged in as the DBOwner) you will need to create permissions for the objects in your database. Create one or more ROLEs for this purpose. At deployment time, run a script over your database to assign roles to users.

./heLen