Subject Re: [firebird-support] Rounding error
Author Gustavo
Svein:

I understand. MONTOPEND is an amount of money. So perhaps it would be a good
idea to use a NUMERIC field. But this field is only an example and I have
fields which are quantities and in some cases I need DOUBLE PRECISION
fields.

I agree with you that, in theory, to say that a line is 100 meters or
99.99957 meters is "almost" the same (but not exactly the same). Anyway, I
think it´s an error of FireBird that if the DP field MONTOPEND has a value
of 34.27 and after executing the statement bellow, then the field has the
value 7,105427357601E-15 instead of null.

UPDATE PMOVCC
SET MONTOPEND = NULLIF(COALESCE(MONTOPEND,0) - 34.27,0)
WHERE (CLAVEMOVIM = 'XXX')

34.27 - 34.27 shoud be 0 even if it is a DOUBLE PRECISSION field.

I have a lot of tables already defined with DP fields and I think it´s not
convenient now to ALTER them to NUMERIC fields. I think what I can do is to
replace the NULLIF using the ROUND function as follows (when I install
FireBird 2.1):

UPDATE PMOVCC
SET MONTOPEND = NULLIF(ROUND(COALESCE(MONTOPEND,0) - 34.27,8),0)
WHERE (CLAVEMOVIM = 'XXX')

Without installing FireBird 2.1, in some of the fields, I can use CAST as
follows:

UPDATE PMOVCC
SET MONTOPEND = NULLIF(CAST(COALESCE(MONTOPEND,0) - 34.27 AS
NUMERIC(18,8)),0)
WHERE (CLAVEMOVIM = 'XXX')

Gustavo