Subject Re: internal gds software consistency check problem
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "martinthrelly"
<martinthrelly@...> wrote:

> hello there
>
> we am running firebird v2.0.3 superserver on a windows Small Business
> Server box. cpuAffinity is set to 1 (this is a single processor
> server), and we use aliases.
>
> we had a problem with the database file locking. i checked in the log
> file and saw this entry:
>
> Database: TTT_LIVE
> I/O error for file "C:\TTT - DATA\TTT.FDB"
> Error while trying to write to file
> Access is denied.
> internal gds software consistency check (can't find shared latch
> (300), file: cch.cpp line: 3653)
>
> i was able to replicate this problem and i think i know why it is
> happening.
>
> if i try to copy and paste the server .FDB file from a client machine
> on the domain. then whilst the file is copying, if i try to use our
> resident software then it it getting locked out. our resident software
> is connecting to Firebird using VB6 code and a Firebird ADO Driver .
> so i have a few questions.

Never use a file system copy tool to copy a live database. This causes
corruption.

> is this problem related to the VB/ADO Driver/connection string? or is
> this expected behaviour?
>
> if this is expected behaviour then i am worried will it keep locking
> the DB every time e.g. a virus scan software scans the .FDB?

That is what exclusion paths are for. Configure your virus scanner
correctly.

> what
> happens when we want to make a copy of the DB?

Don't
Use the built in hot backup functionality with gbak or a tool that
uses the services API to create a backup file.

> OK. just to finish off. i am part of the new .NET development team and
> i am not too good with VB6 code, so it could be that this isnt a
> Firebird issue but is somehow related to the VB6 code that our
> programmer is using to connect to Firebird?
>
> any help much appreciated as i need to avoid the locking.

I suggest you read the quick start guide in your doc folder
(especially p21, there are some nice red warning boxes for you to read)

Adam