Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Firebird and vacuum?
Author Ann W. Harrison
Adrian Wreyford wrote:
> Am I correct in understanding that the garbage collection is only effected,
> once a restore is performed, after the backup?

No, the garbage collection is done on the old database while
the backup file is being created. Of course, the newly
restored database won't have any garbage in it either.

But the thing to remember about Firebird is that the
vacuum function is built into every data access - every
transaction constantly checks for unneeded old versions
and causes the space they used to be released.

Good luck,

Ann