Subject Re: [firebird-support] Restore error with do not recognize record type 11
Author HH Tan
My PC doesn't has any firebird 2.0 server installed and I can confirm the
backup database was created using firebird 1.5.

I try backup a testing database using FIBS again, same problem occurred
while I restore the database.
I suspect might be the FIBS problem ?

Thanks for your help

-------Original Message-------

From: Helen Borrie
Date: 08/17/06 12:34:07
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [firebird-support] Restore error with do not recognize record
type 11

At 01:17 PM 17/08/2006, you wrote:
>Hi all,
> I try to restore a fbk backup file from FIBS 2.2 Using IBExpert but
>has encountered problem with error message "Do not recognize record
>type 11". I am using Win xp sp 2 and Firebird 1.53.

Right. You must have created this database using a Firebird 2.0
beta. The , which is what the gbak error is telling you that the
on-disk structure of the backed-up database is ODS 11. Firebird
1.5.x creates ODS 10 databases and recognises ODS 10.n and lower.

Historically, you simply can't restore a backup of a higher ODS
database to "revert" its ODS to a lower one. However, you *can* do
as follows with Firebird 2.0 and 1.5.x specifically:

1. Temporarily rename gbak.exe in your Firebird 2.0 bin directory.
2. Copy gbak.exe from your Firebird 1.5 bin directory into your
Firebird 2.0 directory.
3. With Firebird 2.0 as your running server, use this Fb 1.5 gbak to
back up your database.

You now have a backup file that you can port to a running Fb 1.5.3
server and restore. However, you will encounter further problems if
you used any new DDL features in creating objects whilst your
database was under Fb 2.0 control.

NB, don't forget to reinstate the proper status quo for your binaries
in Fb 2.0 if you plan to keep using Fb 2.0.

../heLen