Subject Re: [firebird-support] Help with firebird on linux...
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:46 AM 10/08/2006, you wrote:
>I'm trying to install firebird on Mandriva 2006, and I've had two
>problems.
>first the RPM bugs out on me... it enters an infinite cycle asking for
>the SYSDBA password...

What are you giving it as the SYSDBA password?

>After that I dowload the tarball and ran the
>install.sh script it work just fine, but with one problem, which is
>problem #2 when I try to run any commands in the bin folder as root it
>just signs me out from root and gives me the --help message, and if I
>try to run it as a user WITH permissions it gives me a permission
>denied message... any sugestions or at least a link to a guide for
>configuration under linux? I've only found one for debian using apt-get

Why not read the installation instructions in the release notes? It
covers what permissions are needed.

You also don't say *what* you are trying to install. Classic and
Superserver are not the same....Fb 1.5 and Fb 2.0 are not the same....

You're going to get a variety of permissions problems according to
what you have or haven't covered in running a manual install and also
according to which *model* (Classic/SS) you are trying to connect to,
using which client. Absent a crystal ball, there's not a lot of help
you can get here without providing something to go on.

./heLen