Subject RE: [firebird-support] Blob fields
Author Rick Debay
Perhaps you could make a request to Upscene to see what can be done in
the dbExpress driver. I vaguely remember that the Java driver, Jaybird,
had to make a couple of round-trips for each blob, and changes were made
to reduce the number. Maybe the dbExpress driver has a similar issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:firebird-support@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Christian
Kaufmann
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 3:45 AM
To: Firebird Newsgroup
Subject: [firebird-support] Blob fields

Hi,

I have some performance problems with an application, where I store
geometries in blob fields. Reading 12'000 records takes very long and
I'm looking, how to speed it up. The technology we use is:

- Delphi 6
- dbExpress, driver from upscene.com
- Firebird 1.5, server Win32

One thing is, that most of the blob fields data has a size of 100-1000
bytes. So my question is, what exactly does the "SEGMENT SIZE" in the
declaration of the blob field? Should I change that to another value
than the default of 80?

Will Firebird 2.0 be different regarding blob fields and performance?

cu Christian