Subject Re: Crystal sorting problem when "-" is included, from firebird DB?
Author s3057043
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Voronin" <cv@...>
wrote:

> I don't know if anyone ever ran into this, but hopefully someone
can shed
> some light onto this for me:
>
> When selecting via IBOConsole here is the order. (SELECT ID from
EXAMS)
> BX
> BX-CB
> M-ADD
> M-SCR
> MRI
> MSCR
>
> But when selection is done via crystal reports then its:
> BX
> BX-CB
> M-ADD
> MRI
> MSCR
> M-SCR

Failing to provide an 'order by' clause means that you do not care
which order the records are returned in. It appears that Firebird is
returning the records in storage order (no surprise there), and
crystal reports is ordering the results. Perhaps that is another
option in crystal, but in any case, both results are 100% correct.

If you fix the query to:

SELECT ID from EXAMS
ORDER BY ID

IBOConsole will return the results ordered in this case.

> And if I use selection formula of ID <= "M-SCR" my result is:
>
> BX
> BX-CB
> M-ADD
> M-SCR
> (missing 2 procedures)
>
> If I use selection formula ID <= "MSCR" then my result is:
>
> BX
> BX-CB
> M-ADD
> MRI
> MSCR
>
> Incorrect records are returned via Crystal reports both times. So
just
> hoping anyone knows of this issue or has heard of it?

It is not clear from your description if you think Firebird is
returning the wrong records for that query or whether crystal is
applying its own filters to the returned data?

I would expect (in the absence of any collation that defines
otherwise) that the character '-' (ASCII 45) would be lower than 'A'
(ASCII 65), but my IDs are not text based so I do not have that issue
to contend with.

I suggest running the query in IBOConsole, and if it does return the
correct data, then you have a problem with Crystal.

Adam