Subject Re: [firebird-support] Failing to overwrite backup file
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:21 AM 30/06/2006, you wrote:

> > It is "as designed" - you cannot overwrite a backup file; or,
> > rather, you cannot output a backup to a file that already exists in
> > the target location with the same name. Think for a moment about the
> > implications if it was allowed...
>
>Huh?
>That's completely new to me that I cannot overwrite an existing backupfile.
>I've been doing that for years as well as my customers do.
>What have I missed?

Nothing, it seems. I just tried to do it with Fb 1.5.3 and it *does*
overwrite. Hmmm, it's not meant to, and didn't used to.

I'll be surprised if this is intentional...I don't recall it coming
up in release notes as an intended change.

But, back to the original poster's scenario - my guess is his gbak is
an older version, where the described behaviour *was* by design. The
cure therefore would be to use a version of gbak where this safeguard
is broken. I can vouch for the Fb 1.5.3 client in this regard. :-)

./heLen