Subject Re: Issues with GFIX on Firebird 2.0 RC2
Author Mike
--- In, "Ann W. Harrison"
<aharrison@...> wrote:
> Mike wrote:
> > Hello everyone. I am running Firebird 2.0 RC2 (NPTL version) on Linux
> > Suse. Lately I have corrupted the database (still dont know how)
and am
> > getting message of the type : page ### wrong type, expected 5
> > encountered 4.
> Gfix isn't going to fix that database. The problem is that for some
> reason you've got a pointer page that is being referenced somewhere
> as if it were a data page. The IBSurgeon team might be able to recover
> most of the data, but it's not the sort of problem gfix was designed
> to handle.

Well I was not expecting it to fix it but I wanted the statistics from
validation. Perhaps my database is so screwed up that even gfix chokes
on it. I am runnich backup restore on it and hoping to save the
database structure. I am not worried much about data, but it would be
helpful to save that too. If everything fails I'll have to restore
from production backup and rerun DDL scripts.

> InterBase V5.6 on Windows had a couple of bugs that allowed this sort
> of problem to occur, but I haven't seen anything like this on Firebird.
> Do you have any idea what could have happened?

Not really. I am not the only one working on it. I was updating,
altering procedures, table structures. Here is the whole story: We
needed a new development database. The one we had was used for new
application server and was changed drasticly and was not compatible
with current software. We needed a new database to do minor bug fixes
for current software. At that time I already had another database that
was idle sitting on development server. It was old copy of development
database that i forgot to delete after restore from production. I
decided to whip this database in shape. I set up alias to this
database and connected to it on my workstation. After running scripts
I connected to first database on development server and surprisingly
noticed that it also got changed to structure in scripts. I said screw
aliases and connected using file names. After getting both databases
in shape i went to the server and renamed database file to more
meaningful names ans again set up the aliases. About 5 minutes later
my coworker told me of the "wrong page type" error. One iteresting
thing is that old development database was from days of Firebird 1.5.