Subject Re: [firebird-support] From IB 7.5 to FB 1.5.3
Author Lester Caine
Johannes Pretorius wrote:

> Good day all
> -=0=--0=0-==-0\
>
> I am busy trying to see what effort is needed to move a Ib 7.5 database over to FB
>
> But I am running into very funny problems. If I backup from Ib 7.5 and try and restore in FB then I get on a SP
> an error
>
> gbak: ERROR: arithmetic exception, numeric overflow, or string truncation
> gbak: Exiting before completion due to errors
>
> I then just for fun tried to remotely backup from the FB Server with the Fb's gbak program the database on the IB machine , this ran well but
> gave the same error on a different SP. In the checked the SP. The params passed to the SP and used inside the SP are all correct non are bigger or smaller
> than what they should be. Thus the error confuses me.
>
> Is there any guidelines regarding this. Also how can I lookup or validate the Ib database that it will be able to go to FB ? Is there tools ?

Given that IB7.5 and FB split at an earlier point in the chain, I would
not expect a backup from one to restore in the other. But you should be
able to take the DML from one and create an empty database in the other.
At which point you will find the features that are going to cause
problems. Once you have a working 'blank' then datapump should work
fine. I understand that some of the admin tools will allow you to
connect to both servers and do that, but I never moved beyond IB6 ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL