Subject Re: [firebird-support] Strange Firebird Connectivity Problem
Author Daniel Rail
Hi,

At June 20, 2006, 7:39 PM, t.s. wrote:

> Last weekend i encountered a strange problem in one of my friend's
> office network. I went there to install firebird on the server and a
> demo application. Everything went fine except for this one workstation
> at the manager's office. Seems that the application cannot connect to
> the database server. Ping and telnet seems to work, and there's no
> problem with the firewall, so i was confused for a while.

> I poked around in the machine, and to my surprise, the machine has
> firebird (windows xp, firebird 1.5.2.x, superserver) installed.
> Apparently the manager installed some boxed-set software that uses
> firebird. More poking around revealed that the firebird installed in
> that machine has this line in the firebird.conf file:
> RemoteServicePort = 3051

> It was a bit strange since i thought that this setting affect how client
> computers connect to this machine, not how this machine connect to other
> servers....

The configuration file firebird.conf is also used by fbclient.dll.
And, it does use that configuration setting. This was made so that
you wouldn't have to specify the port in your connection string, and
it's very useful if you are using a connection component that doesn't
let you specify the port.

> Anyway, removing this line or setting it back to the default of 3050
> "fixed" the problem, in the sense that my app could connect to the
> server. Obviously the 'other' app stopped working at this point :).

> Is there a way to make both programs work at the same time ?
> Does this mean i need to explicitly specify port numbers in connection
> strings?

If you have installed fbclient.dll in the same folder as your
application(which is the best place), I would suggest to also install
a firebird.conf that also contains the proper RemoteServicePort
setting.

--
Best regards,
Daniel Rail