Subject Re: [firebird-support] New User Having Diffilculty
Author Helen Borrie
At 06:58 AM 20/06/2006, you wrote:
>I am trying to install Firebird 1.5.1 Embedded for the first time, I
>have used SQlite in the past.
>I downloaded the package Firebird 1.5.1 embedded

That's old, you should go for the latest release, 1.5.3

>unzipped the file into C:\program files\Firebird and got the desired
>result. I copied the fbembded.dll into the top directory and renamed
>it fbclient.dll. Went to command line and tried to CREATE DATABASE
>filename and received the message no such program or file. I seem to
>have no connection to the SQL commands.

Correct, you can't submit SQL commands through the operating system's
command interpreter. You need a client application.

Firebird comes with such an application, isql, but you will need to
get hold of a full server package to get it. There are lots of
graphical admin applications around, too: go to go to www.ibphoenix.com,
select Downloads|Contributed and click on the first entry.

A good place to start would be reading the Quick Start Guide, which
is present in the ..\doc directory beneath your Firebird root dir in
later release kits. I don't think it's there in that very old kit,
but you can download it from the Firebird website. Click on the
Novice's Guide entry in the left-hand menu at www.firebirdsql.org.

Another advice to take on board is that the Embedded model isn't a
very friendly environment for development. It's intended as a
deployment option. It will be a lot less stressful for a novice to
use one of the server models. But do make sure to get the latest release.

./heLen