Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Where did it go?
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:35 AM 20/06/2006, you wrote:
>Win 2K pro sp4, Firebird version 1.5.3.4870-0-win32
>Now then I was trying to "see" the program and start figuring out how
>it works, maybe I have a misconception about the whole thing I thought
>I was installing a program I could run like access, but I saw nothing
>indicating a interface of anykind, is this what it is suppose to be?

It's a database server and, if you installed it on Win2K with all the
defaults, it is quietly running there on your machine as a
service. Check the Services applet in Control Panel |Administration
Tools and you should see fbguard and fbserver.

>Does it run from within another program? Or is it standalone?

It's a server. That means it is listening for client
connections. These come through programs that interface with it
through the client library, fbclient.dll. There are plenty of good
graphical admin tools around, that all load this library. When you
write your own applications, you will use some form of interface that
also loads this library and provides various functions to communicate
between your program, the client library and the server program.

Look in c:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5. That is the root
directory of your Firebird installation. Beneath that you will find
many goodies. In ...\doc you will find the Quick Start Guide that
will explain how to get started. It should also help you to get your
head around how a database server works.

To look for a graphical admin program, go to www.ibphoenix.com,
select Downloads|Contributed and click on the first entry.

./heLen